Now and then...

how happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;----Alexander Pope

Sunday, December 2, 2007

To be or not to be

When I first went into grad. school, I thought things were set in place and I am on track. But second year into the program, I feel more and more grim...could it be my professor's lack of interest in my work or my own lack of interest? Or maybe both. There appears to be indicators that this is not what I bargained for when I first signed up for research. Maybe I had been naive about certain aspects of grad. schools. Now I am more confused than ever, and debating whether I should quit or not. Because I can't switch to a different lab since I am on M.S track, and M.S candidates are basically the black sheeps in this department.

I found this nice website from Berkeley that quantifies the dissatisfaction among grad. students. And it showed a quote that exemplifies the feeling of many women grad. students:

"I have seriously considered quitting many times, but I am not a quitter. I feel that my advisor would prefer someone who can put all efforts into school, but I simply cannot without making myself sick. I've been there and won't do it again! If it weren't for my stubbornness and support from my friends, I would have quit. In the end, I think I'll be very glad that I didn't. I'm even considering my PhD!"

I, too, am a stubborn person. But i can't help to wonder is it worth it in my case?

No comments: