Now and then...

how happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;----Alexander Pope

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Solidarity

As part of my Christmas present, I received Amy Tan's latest book The opposite of fate. I have not yet finished reading, but it's been enjoyable thus far. I found solidarity in her stories about her family, which is described to be "dysfunctional". Now, I have a more objective understanding of my mom's behavior, and why she is the way she is. And I can tell myself that, even when my own mother doesn't support my choices or tells me that I will not succeed, it's not doomsday and life goes on. I appreciate Amy Tan's sense of humor amid the tough time she had to experience as a young adult, because life can feel unbearable if you lack a sense of humor.

" For me, writing from memory is more about remembering my psychological place in the world at different stages of my life. Where did I fit in my family, or why didn't I fit. It is about remembering my evolving sense of life, from thinking life was magic, to believing it was random and meaningless, to coming around to thinking it was magic all over again".

New years's eve was spent with friends @ Z'Tejas for dinner, then hung out at Alex's place. We were shooting pools when the count-down began, followed by the usual comsumption of champagne. Anyways, happy 2008!




No comments: