佛山 (Foshan), literally means Buddha mountain, I think they named it so because way back people thought the place was home to the Buddha spirit. I googled the town, and found picture of 祖廟, a Buddhist temple that has always been a tourist attraction, and a place I would always visit with family during Chinese New Year. Apparently they repainted the front gate and hung up new lanterns. Looking at the temple just brought back so many fond childhood memories. According to info on google, construction for 祖廟 began during the Song dynasty and was open around 1451. I didn't know the temple was that old until now, which is odd because I don't even live there anymore.

And another place that I'd like to visit is the Lotus world. I don't think this was there when i was in Foshan. But it looks pretty neat, with lotus flowers all over the pond. I wonder if there're restaurants nearby with lotus dishes...
Another picture I found, showing the typical high-rise apartment complex so ubiquitous in China. My friends and relatives in Foshan all tell me that when I come back to visit, I would be so surprised by all the changes. At least I can be sure 祖廟 will still be there.

3 comments:
nice pix of Foshan. when did you leave HK and move to the US?
Actually, Foshan is not in HK, it's in mainland China, Guangdong province. I left when i was 11 yrs old.
oops my bad! HK movie, from China. got it! 11 yrs means u probably do remember many childhood memories there.
Post a Comment