I'm quoting my friend on that. I can't wait until I wrap things up and defend my thesis. I'm grateful for many things in my life, but grad. school has been such a long journey for me, emotionally and academically. I went from a PhD student to Masters's student, then switched to a new lab due to the unfortunate experience of working for an inconsiderate advisor who lost his tenure track. I've learn not to take things for granted. And at the same time, going through so much uncertainty changed my attitude and perspective. When I'm not distracted w/ FB and reading blogs, and actually preparing my thesis and presentation, I'm surprise and nervous that I'm this close to defending and graduating. It's like...too good to be real...but I know it's real because I put in so much time and effort into it (I've made numerous backup on different computers to ensure my data are safe and sound). Again, for many ppl w/ graduate degrees out there, this is trivial, but for me it hasn't been smooth sailing, so I don't take it for granted, even if it's just a Master's degree.
And it really does suck the life out of you. At an interview today, when asked what I like to do outside of work, I said that I am a skier and love to ski. Then came the question, "how many times do you go in a season", and my answer was "2, on average". I guess two times a season hardly makes that a hobby. ~sigh~ But I really look forward to skiing more this winter. :)
8 comments:
hahaha. you should've said something like... i love hanging out with my friends and making food and playing with max ^_^ i think that happens more often than you going to ski...
or maybe... i love movies! haha. or hiking?? get that brain of yours geared up!
Jenny,
You're awesome! Congrats on your graduate degree!
I agree with Lansia, you have a bunch of hobbies, like cooking and going to movies, etc.
I didn't know movies count as a hobby. hahah
You have made it this far and I really admire you for doing so!! I know it has been a bumpy road but I'm really glad you stuck with it and finished!! Yay!! We'll cross our fingers and hope you get that perfect job soon!!=) yep, and some of your hobbies that I know you like to do are hiking, watching movies, reading, cooking, spending time with family and friends, etc....just like what holly and lansia said:)
Yeah, you guys are right about the hobby thing, and ski is one of them too ( I just have to say that). :)
Or just say you go several times a year and you wish you could go more often but don't just say "two"
yeah, good point Ennlee.
OMG jenny!! I haven't even checked ur blog in a while cuz I'm so fricken busy!! but november its dying down.. thank god. hey, whatever happened to that slacker colleage of yours? Are you finally done with your thesis and all that? I'm thinking of masters too... but what you went through sounds kinda crappy lol... what happened?! maybe it was the ppl you were just working with. well i hope u can go skiing soon! :)
Post a Comment