Now and then...

how happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;----Alexander Pope

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

owning a business

In a recent discussion with a friend, I asked the question if she could own her business someday, what would it be. Not surprisingly, she said she would want a little cafe/bistro. Then she asked me what kind of business I would like for myself. I had to think about it for a bit, then I decided I would want an Interior Decor store, like Urban Outfitter but minus the apparel. However, I realize that it's hard to sustain business running a decor store, and from the furniture shops I've seen in town, they are always so empty it makes me wonder if they are closed. It would be nice to have more decor-oriented people around in the local market, the kind of people who would even consider decorating their homes on a seasonal basis (yes, they do exist, it's not just my wishful thinking), like Spring calls for floral color, Summer calls for bright green and yellow hues, fall calls for strong earthy colors, and winter calls for beige, that sort of things.

Aside from my frivolous interior decor idea, I also came up with a flower shop or greenhouse shop idea. I LOVE flowers and plants, especially Peony and baby's breath. And flower arrangement is always fun to do. I can tell customers the special meaning of a certain flower (provided that I memorize them from books), and I can probably use my biology background to genetically modify certain plant genes, so there will be one-of-a-kind mauvre peony, or a rose that smells like...honey. I will even have imported smultron plant from Europe....

Ok, I'm done daydreaming for the day. But it's always nice to have a dream.


4 comments:

thunderchi said...

i love the flower shop idea, that would be lovely, i hope you achieve this dream one day! :)

ennlee said...

A home decor store would be a cute idea!! Oh I know, if I had the money to do so I would totally redecorate my house for each season!
They do have flowers and plants like that at Thanksgiving Point! It's pretty neat the different combinations they have come up with when they intermix the plants! One of my favorites was the chocolate spearmint leaves! It smells so yummy! We should go sometime! Oh they have a tulip festival coming up.....i'll get the info on it and we should go!

kjygyrl said...

home decor sounds cool, but its low turnover items. thats why cheap trendy merchandise of n.e kind always has ppl in the stores. flower and plant idea is even better. why not combine the two?

Holly said...

A flower shop would be lovely. I like the idea of applying your biology background to genetically modify the plant.