“To be a young American today is to experience both excitement and uncertainty,"---Dr. Arnett
This NYT article caught my attention. It focuses on the work done by a well-known developmental psychologist, and it raises the question of whether or not the 20s can be viewed as its own developmental stage (similar to childhood, adolescent, etc). Mostly because of the ubiquitous trend of 20-somethings unwilling to commit to things (jobs, relationship, etc), and the general lack of financial stability even into the late 20s. While some readers made the comments that those who meander through their 20s are simply slackers, I thought it was too superficial to jump to conclusion like that. Some people don't have a start on career because they are not able to immediately land a job they want right out of college, so plan B is to do a low-paid internship. And to define adulthood as having a career, settling down getting married (and babies), and having a house, seems to over-simplify many things in today's society. fMRI images have already shown that the human brain is not fully matured until the mid-20s. That in part explains why so many 20 somethings meander thru jobs, different cities, etc., in the quest for self discovery. But only if you are in a situation where you can afford to do so. The concept of "Emerging Adulthood" defined by Arnett is by no means universal. In alot of developing countries, people have no options but to go from teenager to adult, not emerging adult.
The entire time when I was reading this article, I kept asking myself what if I could've afforded to do study abroad, or take some kind of internship in another city. How different would my life be? Or how different would my personality be? Starting from high school, I've always been consistent in knowing what I want to do, and how I want to live my life. I wonder if "meander" my 20s away is really going to change my core values and goals. I know I shouldn't adopt the what-if mentality, but reading article really piqued my curiosity. Perhaps I should just content myself with the idea that "everything happens for a reason".
"Youth is wasted on the young"---George Bernard Shaw
No comments:
Post a Comment