Now and then...

how happy is the blameless vestal's lot! The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;----Alexander Pope

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Sometimes I wonder if I can ever fully get along with my mom.

Aside from the fact that she jumps to conclusions too fast, she is also too fastidious. She somehow blames me (without mentioning specific reasons) for not dating right now. But I know she is also one of those moms that would incessantly criticize the daughter's bf, or even tell her how she can 'do better'. Anyways, I've learned that the best thing to do is to simply ignore it. I know that I can't change the way she acts towards me, I mean, people don't change, especially when they are already 50 years old. The only thing I can do is to not get defensive, because it leads to fighting a losing battle. The last thing I need is to constantly prove myself. I remember someone once wrote that parents usually don't change their earlier bias of their children, despite current facts proving otherwise. Maybe that explains why my mom is always surprised whenever I make a good decision.

2 comments:

ennlee said...

Yeah, from what you've told me, your mom does seem somewhat overly critical of you and I really wish she wasn't that way towards you. You are dealing with it the best you can though but it seems like she refuses to acknowledge or accept everything that you have already accomplished, like it's never good enough.

ennlee said...

Sorry that the relationship between you and your mom isn't better=(